Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fun in Kentucky

So I know it's a little late, but I still have to post about our real Thanksgiving... So here it goes. Scottie and I decided to do a little sight seeing and we took a trip down to Kentucky over our Thanksgiving break. We went to Churchill Downs (where the Kentucky Derby is) and watched some horse racing. Too bad I am not a betting gal because I picked the winning horse three times in a row. (I would have won over a 100 dollars on a 2 dollar bet!).

And they're off!!! The horses were so fast! Each race was done in about 1-2 minutes!


Us in the front of Churchill Downs...This pic really doesn't do it justice, this place was HUGE!


Next we were off to the Golden Corral to stuff ourselves for our Thanksgiving Feast #2!

The next day we went to the Mammoth Caves (the longest cave in the world), did some sight seeing, and took a really neat tour! The caves are in this really cute touristy town, so we had to take lots of fun pictures!!! That night we went down town and watched a little parade thing where Santa Claus himself made an appearance and lit the city's lights. We all sang Christmas songs and watched the beautiful lights. Scottie and I loved this part and thought it was a wonderful way to usher in the Christmas season.

Because of good advertising Scottie and I had to checkout Big Mike's Rock Shop! We had blast goofing around here.




Yes those are giant undies in the background!


Some random person offered to give me 25 cents so I could actually ride the ride! No JOKE.

Had to stop here a take a pic. Our nephews love dinosaurs...so this one is for them.




Longest cave in the World!!! I took a picture to prove it.

We descended over 150 feet initially...That's over 250 steps!






This part of the cave is called Frozen Niagara...I have never seen anything like it before. Simply amazing!






Day #3 in Kentucky we went downtown again and saw the Louisville Slugger (biggest baseball bat in the world) and walked around down by the water front.

Some strange modern art with chickens...we couldn't figure it out.


We found a double swing overlooking here and we chatted about life for a while and then headed home. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving and I am grateful for a sweet husband who plans memorable vacations for us!

10 comments:

HDVB said...

okay next time - we want to come with you!!

What a fun, eventful, yet relaxing vacation!!! I love the pics and miss you guys already!

Taunya and Ian said...

What fun pictures! We went to mammoth caves a couple of years ago & enjoyed the cave but not the tour (too crowded & the lunch in the cave was weird). It was fun to see you last Sunday!

heather said...

Wow - this looks like an awesome trip!! You guys are so fun, I love seeing what you're up to! All the pictures are great!

Jamie Lynn said...

You guys are hilarious. You crack me up. We went to Churchill Downs but didn't get to see any races, I'm jealous!! BTW I have major hair envy, yours is to die for gorgeous. Killin me!

Our Fun Times said...

Oh my gosh, I CAN'T believe how long your hair has gotten. Boom, and it is long...crazy! But then again, I guess I haven't seen you in person for a year and a half...sad huh! Looks like you guys had a blast. I would have LOVED exploring that cave...it was sweet! Miss ya girl, and I'm glad you guys had such a great Thanksgiving. If you go to Utah for Christmas, let me know I'll be there. love ya Vevs

Megan said...

That looks like it was so fun! It's just great to explore all the different places in our country. I'm glad you guys are doing well! Love you

Allyson said...

I can't wait to see those caves! I'm a little scared of caves now, but still very excited to see them.:)The horse races look so fun, too. Were there any named Seabiscuit?:)

Looks like you had a blast!

Merry Christmas!!

Veronica said...

Sounds really cool. You do have a cool husband.

Brianna said...

Mammoth Cave is really cool. I love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

mom was here