Sunday, September 19, 2010

NYC and Boston

Scottie had a one week break at the end of August from his 3rd year rotations so we decided to take a road tip with some friends! Our destinations included New York City and Boston, plus lots of cool places in between.

Stop 1: Scranton, PA (The Electric City) on our way to NYC. As you probably know, Scranton is the home of everyone's favorite tv show The Office. Scottie and I taught Brianna and Justin the Electric City Rap (song by Micheal Scott and Dwight) while we were there LOL.

Stop 2: New York, New York! NYC is truly amazing and the city seriously never sleeps!!! There is always something fun going on. Us at Times Square, right in front of where they drop the New Year's count down ball.


Ellen's Stardusk Diner

Scottie took me to this adorable 50s diner to celebrate my birthday. The waiters/waitresses perform during your meal. This is me with our waiter...he is singing his little heart out if you can't tell.

This is how I feel about NYC. I heart it!!!!!!!!

Central Park. We spent 4+ hours here, and loved every second of our time there. I seriously couldn't believe how big the park is! Skyline.

The Manhattan Temple

The US Tennis Open

Going to the US Tennis Open was a highlight of the trip for us. We loved getting to see some of our favorite players in person.

Center Court for the Andy Roddick match.

Nadal!!!!!!!

Scottie looked over at me and this is what he saw! I was trying to keep cool with wet paper towels. Hot times, call for desperate measures.

Mr. Williams (top)! Scottie and I both shook his hand! (below) Venus Williams.

Me spying on Venus!!!


The Statue of Liberty


Ellis Island

Stop 3: After spending 4 days in New York, we headed out to Boston! We loaded up in the Wheeler's car and headed North towards Cape Cod, via Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Next stop: Plymouth.

The Mayflower
Stop 4: New England

Follow the yellow brick road...follow, follow, follow (Tune fr. Wizard of Oz) or should I say the red brick road! While in Boston we spent sometime on the Freedom trial, which marks several historical sites.

Samuel Adam's grave, we also saw Paul Revere, and John Hancock's graves too. Way cool! The history teacher in me was going crazy!

The USS Constitution. The oldest commissioned ship afloat in the world! US aboard, we got to take a tour.

Lexington and Concord

Boston's Red Sox baseball game.


Whitney, Josh, Scottie, and ME. Our good friends the Cutlers let us stay with them while we were in Boston! They were the best hosts ever. Thanks guys.
Stop 5: Palmyra, NY and Niagara Falls.

Hill Cumorah visitor center (top). The Smith family farm house (below).

Seeing the church sites in Palmyra was a really great experience! There is such a special spirit there. We especially loved the sacred grove. While Scottie and I were there we thought about how neat our trip had been and how we started out with the worldly stuff (NYC), then went to the historical stuff (Boston) and saw how the world was prepared for the restoration of the church....and finally we ended with the spiritual stuff. Going to Palmyra was a neat way to end our trip and left me feeling so grateful to be a member of the Lord's true church.

Niagara Falls



17 comments:

Our Fun Times said...

What an AMAZING trip!! SO FUN!! I have to admit, I too, am a little sceptacle of the "mayflower" haha. I'm sure that the little history girl you are, that you loved all of the sights. And the US open, seriously how cool is that! Miss ya girl! Let me know when you go to Utah again, because I tend to go quite a bit;) it would be perfect if we were both there the same time. Love ya girl
Vevs

Anonymous said...

You guys look like you always have a good time! Glad you got to take a little vacay to NY. I've always wanted to go there.

Tracy said...

So fun! I am thrilled you got to go on this adventure, mark a bunch of things off your bucket list!

Is there a picture of Plymouth (sp?) Rock? Is it that little stump with a plaque on it?

heather said...

WOW! I love all these pictures! What fun adventures to remember! And Angie, your hair looks gorgeous in the Lexington and Concord picture. Love it! And I love all your fun poses with Scotty - you make life look like so much FUN and I want to be like you! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great trip. Brought back memories of your mother and I when we were back there several years ago. Did almost the same sites you both did, plus a few extra as we took 10 days. The church historical sites and the sites in Boston on this nations birth and revolution, were also, very touching. Love you both and can't wait until Christmas to see both of you and to get a little connect four going. "You are only as good as your last game". Love Dad

HDVB said...

This post is SO great in SO many ways - we love you guys SO much - next time you go on vacation...we are coming with! :)

Taunya and Ian said...

Holy Crap! What an amazing trip! I am so super jealous!

taryn said...

Looks like SO much fun! Glad you guys got to enjoy your break!

Veronica said...

I would like to go there someday. I was thinking about going next year, but then I realized that won't happen because we are going to WA twice this next year. Maybe later. hmmmm.

Jamie Lynn said...

WOW. What a trip. That is amazing. Glad you had such a fun time.. So jealous of the US open. I have to do that someday. Seeing Andy Roddick and Nadal - I have NO words!!

Scott Parker said...

Wow, this was a great trip and this is an awesome blog post to doccument it. We had tons of fun and I'm so glad we were able to do it thanks to some good friends too.

The Dimond's You Love said...

That trip looked amazing!!! I'm so glad you guys got to go there. Nate loves to learn about history, but from the tv!! I tell him he'd love it more in person, but I have yet to truly convince him...

Allyson said...

WOW! Fun pics! These are two of my very favorite places.:) I'm glad the two of you had a great time; you deserve it!!

Megan said...

I can't believe you toured my old stomping grounds, even went to a SOX game and I was HALF WAY AROUND THE WORLD. I'm totally bummed I missed out on you guys. I'm glad you had fun! Love ya Ang.

Jen said...

So cute! I'm jealous of all the fun you're having! I'm so glad you guys are able to have these neat experiences right now! Love you!

Whitney said...

that was so fun reading your blog about your trip after i heard about it in person! i loved the picture of you spying on venus williams. couldn't stop laughing! we sure love you guys and it was a blast having you! thanks for coming to visit.

Walker Fam said...

I am SO glad I found your blog!! YAY! I hooked into it from the Walsh's. Anyway, I am WAY jealous you got to go to the US Open. I am a huge tennis fan and watched it at home. My parents got to go...not fair- plus new york is my favorite place ever! Anyway, I'd love to invite you to our blog- shoot me an email with your email address to brightyloo@hotmail.com. Love you guys,
Sam and Brighton